The first officers elected for the reorganized ELS in 1918 were: Bjug Harstad, President (Parkland, Washington); John A. Moldstad, Vice-president (Chicago, Illinois); C.N. Peterson, Secretary (Minneapolis, Minnesota); A.J. Torgerson, Treasurer (Northwood, Iowa). Committees also were elected for Missions, Publications, History, and Constitution. It also was determined to continue the publication of the Luthersk Tidende (today, Lutheran Sentinel).
Since the synod from its beginning already was in fellowship with the Wisconsin Synod and the Missouri Synod, the training of pastors and teachers in its early years occurred through these sister synods. In particular, the pastors often were educated at Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri.